The weather is colder and wetter. All I want to do is stay as warm and dry as possible. Who’s with me on this? For me, this means sacrificing a cute outfit for comfort. It means resorting to sweats and Uggs everyday and looking like everyone else. But, you can stay comfortable in the weather and still stand out from the crowd with your own bold winter style and these tips:
- Layers, layers, layers. The best and simplest way to bear the cold is to stack multiple pieces on top of each other. A staple look is a simple sweater, a flannel and a big warm jacket to keep you looking cute and cosy. Wearing multiple pairs of leggings will keep you very warm but won’t add much width.
- Experiment with color. It’s easy to stick to neutrals because you know they look good but in the winter time, these tones can end up looking drab and boring. You can still wear these simple colors but try adding a pop of color as a staple piece. Throw on a red jacket, a blue bag, or any other colorful piece and see how much more effort it looks like you put in.
- Wear unique shoes. Stay away from Uggs and try out different styles. It takes very little effort but will change the entire vibe of your look. There are so many different boot styles ranging from ankle booties to thigh highs. Find the style that keeps your toes warm, and you’ll be ready to bear the snow.
- Dresses and skirts. It may seems like these can only be worn in the spring and summertime but wearing them in the colder seasons will make everyone do a double take. Throw on some warm tights and a thick cardigan to a summer dress and watch as more and more people compliment your unique style.
- Accessories are key. Adding jewelry and scarves can take an outfit from a 2 to a 10. Thick blanket scarves are always on trend and for good reason. They can be tied in so many different ways, and you will feel like you’re wearing an actual blanket. If your outfit is looking a little plain, add some statement earrings. You are good to go!
Step out of your comfort zone this winter and amaze everyone with your outside-the-box fashion sense.
If you would like to book your own session or meet to talk about a session, please call Susan at 314-282-5632, email her at email@example.com, or click on the “CONTACT” link on the menu bar.
Southern Illinois Photographer, Susan Willis, is a professional photographer specializing in high school senior and modern portrait photography. Based in Murphysboro, Susan Willis Photography travels throughout southern Illinois, St. Louis, MO, and surrounding areas to capture the uniqueness of YOU! Susan also does destination sessions in Charleston, SC; Nashville, TN; Tampa, FL; Tuscon, AZ and beyond.